STEP 1: RESEARCH EXTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES AND DEADLINES
• Browse through the Externship Program's pre-approved placement opportunities at http://law.loyno.edu/externship-opportunities to learn about the type of work as well as particular application procedures, deadlines, and eligibility requirements for each placement.
• Research Externship Program deadlines for your semester of interest at http://law.loyno.edu/lawclinic/externships. Keep in mind that some externship placements have earlier external deadlines of their own while others accept applications on a rolling basis and may or may not be filled by Loyola's internal deadline. These external deadlines will be announced on Symplicity through individual postings and on the particular Externship Program web page for placements with separate deadlines.
STEP 2: VISIT THE OFFICE OF LAW SKILLS AND EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
• Make an appointment, visit marketing table or attend Externship roundtable.
• During your meeting, the Coordinator of OSEL will help you select a first-choice placement organization and will inform you of the materials needed to apply to that placement.
STEP 3: UNDERSTAND THE COMMITMENT
• Once the application is sent to a field office, a student is presumed obligated if selected by the office.
• Students should realize the importance of honoring commitment and preserving the working
relationship between Loyola and the community.
STEP 4: APPLY ONLINE
• Get application materials ready!
• Complete the online application. Once you apply, complete next step at the same time.
STEP 5: EMAIL MATERIALS TO THE COORDINATOR OF SKILLS AND EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
• Email your resume, cover letter, and other materials requested by your desired placement (transcript, writing sample, etc.) to Prof. Linares at email@example.com.
STEP 6: PREPARE FOR INTERVIEW
• The field office may reach out to students directly once material is sent. Respond promptly and be prepared to interview.
• Sign up for a mock interview with CDO to practice interviewing skills.
STEP 7: INTERVIEW WITH FIELD OFFICE
• Dress in a suit and arrive early. Understand the work of the office and prepare questions to ask about the experience.
***Please be aware if a judge or practitioner is taking time to interview you
and then to extend an offer, they expect you will go forth with the opportunity.
• Don't forget to send a Thank You note to your interviewer(s) after interviewing.
STEP 8: WAIT FOR SELECTION PROCESS
• During this time, students are usually anxious and ready for a quick response. Be patient. Communicate with the professor, who will help guide you through proper post-interview etiquette. If you are not selected, talk to the professor about other options.
STEP 9: ENROLLMENT AND REGISTRATION PROCESS
• Once selected, you are officially part of the externship program!
• You should notify Prof. Linares of your selection as soon as possible if he was not included in the communication of offer and acceptance. The Office of Skills will then register you for the Externship Course and send you an email confirming your enrollment.
• The professor will send an official confirmation letter to the placement along with an MOU we ask our placements to sign each semester they host an extern.
• You should remain in contact with the placement organization prior to the start of the semester and make arrangements to begin your schedule at the placement during the first week of classes for the semester. You should make sure this schedule will allow you to meet the Externship Program's minimum time requirements for your credit hours during the course of the semester.