Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Site Navigation Skip to Main Content

Marcel Garsaud, Jr.

Professor Emeritus of Law

Marcel Garsaud, Jr.
Marcel Garsaud, Jr.

Professor Garsaud's association with Loyola dates back to the 1950s. He has been a student, an alumnus, a professor, and a dean. He graduated cum laude from Loyola with a bachelor's degree in business administration in 1954. Upon returning after two years of military service, he enrolled in the School of Law where he was a member of the Law Review and the National Moot Court Team. He has taught at Loyola since 1963 and has also been a visiting professor at Tulane University School of Law and Louisiana State University Law School. When Professor Garsaud was appointed dean of Loyola University New Orleans School of Law in 1970, he was the first alumnus to serve in that capacity. His tenure as dean ended in 1982, but he graciously acquiesced to return to the post as interim dean from 1994-1996. For a period of time, Professor Garsaud left the active teaching ranks to practice law with the law firm of Gordon, Arata, McCollam & Duplantis. He served the city of New Orleans and the State of Louisiana through numerous appointments. Among his many assignments were Judge Pro Tempore for the Louisiana Court of Appeals, 4th District, chairman of the Civil Service Commission for the City of New Orleans, and commissioner for Uniform State Laws. He also has served as a member of the Board of Governors, the Law Reform Committee, and the House of Delegates of the Louisiana State Bar Association. He co-chaired the Conclave on Legal Education and Professional Development. His memberships include the American Bar Associations and the Louisiana Bar Foundation, of which he was also president. He is a fellow with both the American Bar Foundation and the Louisiana Bar Foundation. Currently Professor Garsaud is Chairman of the Board of Councilors of the Ochsner Clinic Foundation.

Degrees

LL.D., Loyola University New Orleans, 2004; LL.M., Yale University, 1967; LL.B., Loyola University New Orleans, 1959