STEP 1: RESEARCH EXTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
• Browse www.law.loyno.edu/externships
STEP 2: VISIT THE OFFICE OF LAW SKILLS AND EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
• Make an appointment, visit marketing table or attend Externship roundtable.
STEP 3: UNDERSTAND THE COMMITMENT
• Once the application is sent to a field office, a student is presumed obligated if selected by the office.
• Students should realize the importance of honoring commitment and preserving the working
relationship between Loyola and the community.
STEP 4: APPLY ONLINE
• Get application materials ready!
• Complete the online application. Once you apply, complete next step at the same time.
STEP 5: UPLOAD MATERIALS TO SYMPLICITY
• Upload your resume, cover letter, transcript and writing sample to Symplicity.
Visit www.law.loyno.edu/externships for steps. Make sure to label each document properly.
STEP 6: PREPARE FOR INTERVIEW
• The field office may reach out to students directly once material is sent. Respond promptly and be prepared to interview.
• Sign up for a mock interview with CDO to practice interviewing skills.
STEP 7: INTERVIEW WITH FIELD OFFICE
• Dress in a suit and arrive early. Understand the work of the office and prepare questions to ask about the experience.
***Please be aware that if a judge or practitioner is taking time to interview you
and extend an offer, they expect you will go forth with the opportunity.
STEP 8: WAIT FOR SELECTION PROCESS
• During this time, students are usually anxious and ready for a quick response. Be patient. Communicate with the professor, who will help guide you through proper post-interview etiquette. If you are not selected, talk to the professor about other options.
STEP 9: ENROLLMENT AND REGISTRATION PROCESS
• Once selected, you are officially part of the externship program!
• OSEL will send you a link to an online survey.
• Loyola will register you for the Externship Course once you complete the survey.
• The professor will send an official letter to the office and copy you on the instructions.
• The professor will also send an email one week before the start of the semester with details for the classroom requirement.